Assam Northeast

38 Hospitalised, After Food Poisoning In Dibrugarh

At least 38 people have fallen ill after allegedly consuming Maa ‘prasad’ at Chabua in Dibrugarh on Sunday.

Most of the people were admitted at Chabua Model Hospital and complaining of abdominal pain, vomiting, and upset stomach, two to three hours after they ate the Prasad.

The incident was reported from Dongda Chuuk in Chabua.

Sources said on Saturday during a puja ritual the devotees consumed the prasad and fall ill. As there was no space in the Chabua Model Hospital the ill were admitted to Tata Hospital in Chabua.

Two of them were referred to Assam Medical College and Hospital for further treatment. Both of them are in serious condition.

Meanwhile, health officials from Dibrugarh rushed to Chabua to take stock of the situation.

Locals complained that there is not enough doctor available at Chabua Model hospital and thus the people are facing harassment.

“The people are in stable condition. They were suffering from food poisoning after they consumed Prasad during a puja ritual. Nobody is serious. We are monitoring their health status,” Dr Nabojyoti Gogoi, Dibrugarh district Epidemiologist officer.

He said, “The patients are improving and so sign of any seriousness. We have appealed everyone to do the Covid test and the people who have accompanied them to do the Covid test, as the risk of COVID is yet not over”.

“We have taken the samples of the prasad and sent it for testing. It was a case of food poisoning and nothing to worry,”.
This was not the first time that after consuming Maa Prasad that many persons have fallen ill.

About the author

Team News Move

Leave a Comment