Assam Education Minister Ranoj Pegu had on Monday hinted towards holding the High School Leaving Certificate and Higher Secondary exams that had been delayed due to the second wave of COVID-19 in the state.
Announcing that a standard operating procedure in regards to holding the exams will be announced after a meeting with all the stakeholders on Tuesday, Pegu asked the students to continue their studies.
“My suggestion to the students would be to continue their studies. We will come to a decision after meeting with all the stakeholders from 11 am tomorrow (Tuesday). We will release an SOP to that effect,” Pegu told media on Monday.
Students complained that they were hanging on a cliff hanger regarding the the exams both ofbehich has been delayed in Assam while the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has cancelled the both.
Assam Chief Minister had recently said that the state government would come to a conclusion only after the CBSE shares its modalities on assessing students.
CBSE is mulling in adopting one of the two methods – on the basis of their performances in Classes 10 and 11 final exams, as well as Class 12 internal exams or by allotting weightage to Class 10 board exam results, and internal assessments in Class 12 — to assess the students.
Pegu said that he is hopeful as the state is showing decreasing trend of cases and it is also prepared to hold exams despite the threats of ensuing flood.
“We have identified enough exam centres that are outside the flood prone zones where exams can be held seamlessly. Also, the cases of COVID-19 are also decreasing jn the state. So, we are very hopeful,” Pegu said.