Ten points regarding Nagaon and Cachar Paper Mills :
1.The Nagaon Paper Mill (NPM) was established in 1970 and The Cachar Paper Mill (CPM) had been set up in 1988.
2. The Nagaon Paper Mill is situated at Jagiroad in Morigaon district and The Cachar paper Mill is at Panchgram in Hailakandi district.
3.The Paper mill at Jagiroad was closed down in 1991 and that of at Hailakandi suspended production in 2015.
4. The Hindustan Paper Corporation, in charge of both the mills had lined up Rs 4,000 crore investment plan in 2007 (Economic Times; Apr 18, 2007).
5. The then Chief Minister of Assam, Tarun Gogoi, blamed Centre for paper mill closure (ET, Mar 29, 2017)
6. Centre prepares Rs 800 crore proposal for revamping Nagaon Paper Mill and reviving Cachar paper Mill (ET, Sep 22, 2016)
7. Government says that Hindustan Paper’s Nagaon, Cachar employees not paid for months (ET, Aug 08, 2017)
8. Congress promises to reopen two closed paper mills of Assam, State Leadership submits memorandum to PM (ET, Aug 10, 2019)
9. Regular protests continue by employees at both locations.
10. Order by government to vacate paper mill employees’ quarters. Huge reaction.